2019 Roslindale Village Main Street (RVMS)
Farmers Market Assistant Job Description
The mission of Roslindale Village Main Street (RVMS) is to promote Roslindale Village as an appealing destination and the dynamic center of our community. As a nonprofit organization, we bring together local volunteers, businesses and public agencies to strengthen the Village's economic vitality, physical appearance and unique local character. RVMS was formed in 1985 and has played an instrumental role in the revitalization of Roslindale Village.
The RVMS Farmers Market
The RVMS Farmers Market is a year-round event, operating every Saturday in the summer and fall from June through November and in the winter from January through March. The RVMS Summer Farmers Market recently entered its 34th year of operation, and has been voted Best Farmers Market in Boston by Boston A-List three years in a row. The RVMS Summer Farmers Market averages an attendance of 2,000 people a day, and hosts on average 30 vendors selling a range of local produce, farm products, specialty items, prepared foods, and some crafts.
In 2014 the RVMS Winter Farmers Market was launched and experienced a robust season despite record snowfall. The only Winter Market in the Greater Boston area with a full bar, the RVMS Winter Farmers Market hosts on average 15 vendors and welcomes about 500 attendees every Saturday.
The RVMS Summer Market is heartily programmed with live music, free children’s entertainment and wellness activities every Saturday, making the market not only a place to shop but a true community event where friends, neighbors, and visitors come together. The RVMS Summer and Winter Farmers Markets are important economic development drivers for the wider Roslindale Village business community. In the summer of 2014 a study was conducted by the planning research firm FinePoint Associates. Based on a survey of market attendees over the course of two months, it was discovered that market attendees spend on average more money at area Roslindale Village businesses (approximately $80, 000.) than they do at market vendors (approximately $73,000.) resulting in roughly $2.1 million dollars spent in Roslindale Village businesses every year.
RVMS is seeking a Farmers Market Assistant to attend each weekly market on Saturdays and support the Farmers Market Manager with set up, at-market issues, and break down.
Each Saturday, the Assistant will be at the market from 8:00am-3:30pm to set up the RVMS table and assist vendors, oversee the RVMS area and market generally, and clean up/break down. Other responsibilities involve the managing of the children’s area and other entertainment, welcoming and greeting customers, and actively working to expand our contact list at the market.
Training occurs at the market itself and the Winter Market is every Saturday (snow or shine) until March 30th. The position is a paid position, starting at $12/hour, for 7.5 hours per week. This position is available beyond the Winter Farmers Market, heading into the Summer Farmers Market season (June through November, 7:00am-2:30pm) where a Market Assistant would be needed for Market Saturdays in Adams Park for the same amount of hours and pay each week.
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Report and work collaboratively with the Farmers Market Manager each week during the Winter/Summer Market Season.
Must be willing and able to work outdoors and to safely lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with RVMS staff and volunteers, market farmers and vendors, Sons of Italy staff, consumers, and community members.
- Assists vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate.
- Reviews and enforces market rules and policies.
- Establishes a consistent space to set up and operate the Market Manager’s table.
- Arrives at 8:00 am for market set-up and stays until break down is finished, around 3:30 pm.
- Places directional signs promoting the market around the community at key locations prior to opening on each market day, and removes those signs at the close of market.
- Operation of the market manager’s table:
- Setting up the table each week.
- Displaying and distributing promotional materials for RVMS.
- Conducting SNAP/Rozzie Bucks transactions and issuing reimbursements to vendors at the end of market day.
- Displaying and selling RVMS merchandise. Maintaining written record of merchandise sales.
- Returns RVMS tables and other equipment to the RVMS office after market.
- Assists with restoring the Sons of Italy’s layout of tables, and cleaning up (sweeping, mopping) as necessary.
- Maintains a written record of EBT/HIP transactions and weekly vendor reimbursements.