According to ayurveda, metabolic disorders are due to Agni Vaishamya (improper digestion, metabolism and absorption). Agni Vaishamya occurs due to the disturbance of agni, the digestive fire. Causes that contribute to the vitiation of agni include improper diet and unhealthy daily routine and lifestyle. Vitiation of agni leads to the production of ama (toxic, morbid substance in the body), doshic imbalances, disturbance in the tissue metabolism, and depletion of ojas, tejas and/or prana. As conditions progress further, blockages in the individual channels of circulation (srotas) occur, leading to the development of various metabolic disorders such as obesity, diabetes, thyroid disturbances.
The following areas can also be covered:
- Obesity and body composition management
- Metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes
- Women's hormonal health and wellness
- Gastrointestinal disorders and food sensitivities
- Elevated toxic burden
- Endocrinal disorders - Thyroid problems
- Stress and immune challenges
- Neurological support for mood and memory
Ayurvedic texts recommend enhancing the digestive fire through a correct diet, proper physical exercise, internal herbal formulations, panchakarma (detoxification) and rasayana (rejuvenation) therapies.
AAPNA’s 7th Conference, Ayurveda & Metabolic Disorders, will focus on the ayurvedic approach to various metabolic disorders.